The Program Development and Quality Coordinator (PDQC) will be responsible for the coordination and management to key program processes, particularly in proposal development, grants management and M&E. H/She will coordinate with the Program Director and relevant sector coordinators/specialists to ensure timely reporting to donors, developing and implementing Core Humanitarians Standards (CHS) within the Somalia program and contributing to donors and Action Against Hunger's internal compliance.
Action Against Hunger is a global humanitarian organization that takes decisive action against the causes and effects of hunger. We save the lives of malnourished children. We ensure families can access clean water, food, training, and health care. We enable entire communities to be free from hunger. With more than 7,600 staff in over 45 countries, we have reached over 20 million people with funding over US$425M and responded to 37 emergencies in 2018.
How you will contribute
You will contribute to ending world hunger by...
increasing program quality by ensuring program coherence, implementing standards and appropriate learning from lessons learnt across the country program.
Key activities in your role will include:
Establishing, training and leading Program Development and Quality (PDQ) setup at country level
- Develop a Program Development and Quality strategy and review organogram to reflect, functional Program Development and Quality capacity in line with Action Against Hunger's Country strategic vision.
- Recruitment, train and manage qualified staff to carry out regular Program Development and Quality functions, Formal and on the job training for Program Development and Quality staff.
- Provide support to the review and development of Program Development and Quality systems and tools, in collaboration with senior technical management and technical advisor teams of Action Against Hunger.
- Supervise the development of a central information management system platform for Action Against Hunger which will consolidate data and allow for timely reporting of progress towards key current contract, Action Against Hunger standard program indicators, and feed into the mission information system.
- Contribute to the appraisals of Program Development and Quality staff as required by Action Against Hunger guidelines and ensure proper adequate training is carried out in view of career development and Mission Training Plans.
Program Development and Technical Support
- Work closely with the Program Director, Project Managers and Technical Coordinators to design competitive final proposals responsive to donor guidelines and requirements
- Coordinating with country and sub-offices on the delivery and timely submission of reports.
- Technically support teams in the capacity building and management of grants and awards
- Support the country and sub-offices to ensure the inclusion of programmatic strategies standards and policies in the program development process.
- Support the reviewing of proposals for consistency with the requirements of solicitations, requests or calls for proposals, predicting or preventing bottlenecks in the proposal development process and securing the necessary information to complete process.
- Support the Country Office in ensuring that the proposal development process takes into consideration the mainstreaming of global cross cutting themes such as Age, Gender and Diversity, and lessons learnt from previous programming.
Communications and Reporting
- Contribute to the production of high quality program progress reports as per donor and Action Against Hunger requirements.
- Ensure that program reporting needs, formats and timelines are updated and shared with all relevant staff.
- Ensure the Program Development and Quality team (working with the M&E Units) generates, documents, disseminates and communicates program stories, relevant best practices and key lessons; to donors, local authorities and other humanitarian and development partners.
- Ensure relevant communications tools and strategies are in place and all key staff involved in generating communication items are well versed with the tools/strategy and complying with its requirements.
Support program monitoring and reporting
- Provide technical input in the development of program monitoring and reporting plans.
- Provide trainings to program teams on program activity monitoring and reporting.
- Assist programs in defining sampling and assessment methodologies.
- Assist programs on logical framework development.
- Assist program teams in development of project specific databases.
- Advise and update the Technical and Field Coordinators on all aspects of Program Development and Quality regularly.
- Document lessons learned and best practices, produce case studies and human interest stories through knowledge capitalization workshops, production of learning documents and other means.
- Organize learning, knowledge sharing and capitalization workshops and ensure knowledge is used in future program design.
- Establish and monitor accountability mechanisms in line with HAP across the PCM.
- Undertake internal project evaluations, support the development of Terms of Reference (TORs) and inception reports for external evaluations and manage evaluation consultants.
- Support the quality, timeliness and dissemination of Program Development and Quality outputs internally and externally.
- Ensure that lessons in planning, monitoring, evaluation, accountability and impact assessment are documented, shared and considered in the design of new projects and technical plans and are discussed during periodic program reviews and ultimately fed into current work and future program development.
- Support in ensuring maintenance of a robust Grants Management system.
- Working with Finance and Administration, oversee tracking and measurement of grants burn rates, providing timely alerts on non-performance but also green flags for accomplishments.
- Ensure key award processes are in place and that relevant staff are aware of programmatic, financial and compliance requirements.
- Provide oversight in the review of strategic donors’ grants on a regular basis including management tools analyzing original plans and log frames against achievements.
- Ensure quality control of reports, in relation to donor requirements and consistency between narrative and financial reports.
- Facilitate the tracking of the overall program portfolio with donors and monitor investments/income from donors.
Supervision of the Reporting manager, Meal Manager and Communications Manager all to be based in Mogadishu.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
- To travel to the field, the employee must attest to a level of physical fitness capable of enduring physically difficult, highly stressful situations which may include the necessity to walk long distances, to eat a limited diet and/or to reside in potentially uncomfortable housing.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
- The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required.
- Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business travel as well as to the missions if appropriate. While visiting the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions.
- You have a Master of Arts or Science/Bsc+5/6 (or higher) in International Relations/Affairs, Humanitarian Affairs, International Development, Public Health, Monitoring and Evaluation, Statistics, Demographics or related field.
- You have a minimum of 5 years work experience in a similar role, with minimum 2 year humanitarian experience.
- You have experience in two or more country contexts.
Required Skills & Competencies
- Fluency in English Skills and Experience
- Essential: Excellent communication, writing and analytical skills.
- Excellent influencing and negotiation skills.
- Excellent team management, budget management and representation competencies.
- Experience in humanitarian PQA or M&E.
- Experience in designing and leading internal and external evaluation.
- Experience designing and leading capacity building and training for national teams.
- Proven ability to translate evaluated results into learning strategies.
- Skills on statistical and other software (SPSS, SPHINX, STATA, EPI Info, ENA for SMART, GIS, etc.) Familiarity with Management Information Systems (Databases) and GIS. Experience in multi-sector and participatory assessments and data collection tools.
- Familiarity with Action Against Hunger and acceptance of Action Against Hunger's principles.
- Preferred: Prior experience with Action Against Hunger International. Prior experience in Somalia.
Our Core values.
*In this position, you are expected to demonstrate Action Against Hunger-USA’s five core values*
Respect- we work with compassion and dedication, treating everyone the same way we expect them to treat us.
Integrity-: we believe that being honest and fair is integral to every aspect of our work. conducting our work with a spirit of sincerity, truthfulness and transparency is imperative.
Creativity-we encourage new ideas, embrace innovative solutions, and create opportunities for meaningful and exciting ways to do our jobs and provide solutions to address the needs of the populations we serve.
Excellence- we strive to provide services that meet and even exceed the expectations of our stakeholders (populations in need, staff, communities and donors).
Empowerment- we are committed to fostering an environment in which our staff, partners and communities where we work have the space to grow, develop and feel confident about participating.
Gender Equality Commitments
- Ability to foster an environment that reinforces values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion. race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect for all cultures.
What we offer
Action Against Hunger values its employees and offers a comprehensive remuneration and benefits package. These benefits include but are not limited to: -
- Health Insurance
- Paid annual leave (vacation)
- Training opportunities
For an all-inclusive list of benefits, check the Action Against Hunger Website
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the link below. All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated resume and both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. The applications will be assessed on rolling bases.