CARE International is a humanitarian aid organization fighting global poverty, with a particular focus on working with women and girls to bring lasting change to their communities. As a non-religious and non-political organization, CARE works with communities to help overcome poverty by supporting development projects and providing emergency relief. We believe supporting women and girls is one of the most effective ways to create sustainable outcomes in poor communities.
The EAC funded ‘Waxbar Curtaada II- Educate your children’ project aims to address obstacles to educational access for out of school children affected by instability, displacement, social exclusion and poverty in Somalia. The project targets to enroll 57,600 out of school children from across five federal member states – Galmudug, Hirshabelle, Jubaland and South West. It’s a consortium comprising of CARE (Lead), WARDI and GREDO to deliver the project results. Waxbar Carurtaada II Project will strengthen local governance structures and community support around school safety and inclusive and gender-sensitive education, increasing enrollment rates among marginalized groups, including girls and the extremely poor. Through ABE, the project will provide viable options for learners unable to access education or to attend regularly because of seasonal and out-migration, domestic demands, and income-generating activities. The project will work closely with Federal member states MOEs across the five regional states and other education stakeholders to achieve its objective.
The Project will be implemented in 20 districts of five regional states. The project will cover rural areas of Puntland (Galkacyo North, Galdogob and Jariban districts) and Galmudug (South Galkacyo, Dhusamareeb, Guriel and Abudwak, Cadaado and Hobyo districts), and urban/ peri-urban areas of South West (Baidoa, Dinsoor, Hudur, Walaweyn and Afgoye districts), Hirshabelle (Beletweyn, Bula Barde, Jalaqsi districts) and Jubaland (Kismayu, Bardheere and Dollow districts).
- JOB SUMMARY
The project Engineer under this Project will conduct technical survey, design and cost estimation of classrooms construction/rehabilitation in the target areas, plan and implement construction activities of the EAC II in Somalia project, provide assistance to project supervisors to carry out mobilization process of communities for construction, prepare and submit construction progress reports to the project Team Leader.
- ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Result Area 1: Lead the technical assessment of all planned constructions
- Mobilizes and advises stakeholders in all Education components target areas on all aspects of construction of classrooms including planning, documentation, and provision of their share of inputs
- Conduct a thorough assessment of the proposed sites, analyzing labor requirements, costs and timeframes, and taking into consideration the successes and constraints of new/rehabilitated classrooms at all sites
- Assess and advise on all materials needed for various interventions that are available in the local market and nationally both in terms of quantity and quality
Result Area 2: Lead the Development of all construction and rehabilitation design, bill of quantities as required
- Prepare bill of quantities (BoQs) for all work sites and oversee procurement of materials and supplies required in consultation with the Procurement Officer.
- Ensure all BoQs costs are fully disclosed in the general project procurement plan which has to be done once and approved from Consortium Coordinator or Urban Program Coordinator
- Provide technical support to bidders and contractors implement construction activities in line with the design and BOQ
- Develop technical designs and plans for proposed work sites in consultation with the Team Leader and other staff
- Work with procurement in the preparation of tender documents and the recruitment of the contractors and necessary technical documentation for construction works
- Participate the tendering processes necessary for recruitment of the construction works company to implement the required activity
Result Area 3: Provide effective supervision of the architectural/structural design works:
- Lead field supervision of the work of contractors to ensure the architectural/structural design is fully in line with the initial scope of works and infrastructure upgrades required
- Lead field supervision of the work of contractor to ensure the architectural/structural design and project proposal meet safety and security requirements, rules and regulations
- Lead the evaluation of the construction works companies’ offers resulting from the tendering process
Result Area 4: Lead Provide effective monitoring and supervision of construction to ensure quality
- Prepares and submits construction progress reports to the Team Leader.
- Document challenges and successes including photos, clips, case stories, etc
- Report to CARE on the monitoring findings
- Through monitoring of the construction works sites ensure required quality, timely completion and value for money of construction works
- Provide certification for payments in order to confirm that milestones under construction contracts are achieved; including submission of the final Certificate of Completion of work
- Work directly with infrastructure contractors and provide the necessary support needed.
- Prepare handing over certificate upon completion of all rehabilitation and construction work in each area.
- Support the process of handing over ceremony of all the construction work in schools and prepare infrastructure completion report
Result Area 4: Reporting
- The Project Engineer is required to produce technical progress report
- Prepares progress reports, monthly reports and completion report of all construction activities to be submitted to the Team leader
- Ensure compliance with necessary rules and regulations, government standard designs and by-laws regulating the construction of facilities, technical regulations, general and special technical conditions and professional codes
Result Area 5: OTHER DUTIES:
- Any other duties assigned or technical input applicable during the course of the assignment period
- WORKING CONDITIONS:
The position is based in Galkacyo South, but the assignment covers all (EAC II) projects target areas including (Galmudug, Hirshabelle, Jubaland, South West and Puntland states)
- Line Manager: Team leader -
- Daily contact: program team, finance and procurement
- Program Partner: Ministries of Educations, MoIs, MoY
- Communities: All project beneficiaries
- Required Qualifications and Skills
- A university degree in Civil Engineering**
- Minimum four years proven experience in similar work**
- Experience of working in harsh environment an added advantage**
- Ability to multi-task and effectively handle stressful situations**
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. **
- Fluency in English is a must**
- Knowledge of Somali language is an advantage**
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with a team; **
- Strong knowledge of and experience with humanitarian guidelines and principles**
- Experience in budget management and knowledge of financial procedures required**
- Proficiency in computer applications**
- Proven ability to work well with multi-level stakeholders**
- Strong interpersonal skills**
- Familiarity with EU and donor policies and procedures desired**
- Demonstrable leadership, supervision, and communication skills**Good interpersonal and networking skills as well as flexibility and innovativeness