Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Programme CBI Officer is an active member of the bureau/field operation/division and manages and oversees the UNHCR cash assistance programmes. The incumbent is responsible to ensure that operations are compliant with the technical guidance and administrative instructions on CBI. S/he will ensure the strategic and coherent use of CBI in the operations and monitor adequately. S/he will ensure adequate coordination of all CBIs in line with the common cash delivery principles and provide technical guidance on CBIs to UNHCR staff.
The Programme CBI Officer normally receives guidance and direction from the Senior Programme Officer or Snr. Operations Officer or other senior staff. S/he will maintain close links with CBI staff in UNHCR HQ.
Internally s/he also will liaise with UNCHR country offices and/or Bureau. Externally s/he will liaise with Implementing and Operational Partners, National Governments, line ministries and UN agencies.
The incumbent is expected to work in line with the multi-functional team (MFT) approach as defined within the Program Manual, ensuring the participation of relevant stakeholders in all phases of the Program Management Cycle.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Support the strategic and coherent use of CBI's in the operations, ensuring that CBI is maximised in assistance and service provision, strongly linking it to CRRF, MYMP and development. In particular, ensure linkages with Social Protection and Financial Inclusion.
- Support the review of and coordinate the final clearance with DFAM of the CBI Standard operating procedures (SOPs) for the operations.
- Support the development of the cash assistance programmes and support the senior management to ensure that CBI strategy is fully, effectively integrated into the country operations plan for protection and solutions.
- Support the compliance to HALEP and that CBI is included in the preparedness and response planning and be a first responder to new emergencies/ and returns situations to ensure operations are using CBI as a modality.
- Support the effective coordination with procurement for the RFP, the technical evaluation and contracting of financial service providers.
- Provide technical support on strategic planning and policy making on activities within the area of CBIs as an integral part of UNHCR programmes including assessments, planning and budgeting, technical choices, legal and regulatory aspects, implementation modalities and coordination.
- Support and collaborate with sectors to increase the use of CBI in education, shelter, livelihoods and where applicable in health and WASH programmes.
- Support the adequate inter-agency coordination mechanisms on CBIs and strong relations with partners, regional entities and represent UNHCR in CBI coordination.
- Support the establishment of a sound monitoring process for cash assistance, with proper collection, use and monitoring of baselines, standards and indicators needed to measure and analyse CBI¿s performance. Analyse trends and target interventions including CBI expenditure, upstream and downstream activities.
- Assess the technical soundness of the operations and generate data for evidence-based decisions.
- Fulfil CBI related reporting requirements.
- Support the use of UNHCR corporate tools and systems.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P3/NOC - 6 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 5 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 4 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Economics; Social Science; Business Administration; Social Economics
or other relevant field
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
Programme Management; HCR Results Based Management;
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Experience in working in cash based assistance programmes and proven knowledge and technical skills in set up, design, implementation and monitoring of CBIs from a multisectoral and protection perspective.
Experience in interagency coordination.
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)