Project Architect SC5, Mogadishu (146144)
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide and the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes.
This position is open to qualified Somali candidates. Female candidates in particular, are encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Project Architect shall report directly to the WFP Lead Engineer and ultimately to the Head of Administration and to the Head of Field Offices/Project Managers (for respective projects) with the following generic duties:
(These duties are generic and thus not all-inclusive).
General Project Duties
- Undertake architectural assessments on WFP facilities and offices, which includes gathering and filing data, providing support to the respondents, identification, recommendation and configuration of the spaces. Assist in developing guidance and standards for upgrading ofexisting WFP premises and new buildings to meet various needs and requirements.
- Conduct remote and onsite assessments of WFP premises and assist in the preparation of scope of works, designs and tender documents for the implementation of the works.
- Undertake architectural designs from simple to more complex designs, layouts and details in engineering CAD software, participate in designs, design reviews, reading and interpreting of technical drawings, proposals, specifications, schematics.
- Assist in planning and implementation of the project including use of engineering survey equipment and appropriate technology to deliver the project within schedule.
- Oversee compliance to WFP & Construction Manual requirements, guidelines and prevailing industry standards
- Conduct site inspections, approval works and reporting
- Maintain projects master data base including budgets and schedules for design and construction project, including appropriate documentation to support full project life cycle for audit purposes
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Projects site assessments, scoping, tender documentation and developing work specifications.
- Support the Engineer and Procurement Unit with projects pre-tender documentation and processes.
- Support the Engineer and Procurement Unit in preparing Work Orders for engineering services.
- Advise on project procurement options and specialist contractual arrangements
- Support the Engineer and Procurement Unit with projects technical evaluation, analysis and reports.
- Advise on projects economical contract administration approaches
- Provide engineering and project management services, including planning and designing the specifications for the CO & SO Projects by applying commonly used engineering designs, calculations and practices;
- Preparation of Engineer’s Valuations, Payment Certificates in coordination with the Project Engineer, Project Manager and Admin/Finance Units
- Assist the Engineer with cost control throughout the project; preparation of financial appraisals during the construction stages of the project to keep the Project Managers appraised on the financial valuations and anticipated final accounts.
- Advise on the avoidance and/or settlement of contractual Claims and disputes including evaluation and settlement of Claims as they arise (contract dispute resolution mechanisms including arbitration).
- Assisting in collating As-Built documentation and all necessary confirmations of statutory requirements and consents.
Bachelors degree in Architecture, Architectural Studies or equal and approved.
- At least 4 years of proven Architectural experience in design and construction of building and infrastructure type projects.
- Design Experience with ArchiCAD and common Architectural CAD Packages including Atlantis and Sketchup.
- Registration with recognized national professional regulatory body and/or association. Experience working in the humanitarian sector is desirable.
Construction Projects Scheduling with demonstrated experience with Primavera Project Planner and Ms. Project Scheduling software.
- Office computer software programs including but not limited to Microsoft Office Packages.
- Knowledge of typical FIDIC Contracts packages.
- Knowledge of construction contracts management processes. Knowledge and ability to use engineering survey equipment.
Fluency in both oral and written communication in Somali and English is a requirement.
Terms and Conditions:
Contract Duration: 1 year (initial)
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications through E-Recruitment.
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.