Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Programme Manager (MPA), and direct supervision of the National Project Officer (MPA) and in close coordination with Programme Officer (MPA) in Hargeisa, the Project Assistant (Admin and Finance Assistant) will support the implementation of the EU-IOM on the Joint Initiative Migrant Protection and Reintegration (JI) as well as overall implementation of MPA activities in Somaliland. Launched in December 2016 with funding from the EU Emergency Trust Fund for Africa (EUTF), the Joint Initiative is the first comprehensive programme to save lives, protect and assist migrants along key migration routes in Africa. It enables migrants who decide to return to their countries of origin to do so in a safe and dignified way, and to help them restart their lives in their countries of origin. This is done through an integrated approach to reintegration that supports both migrants and their communities.
In the Horn of Africa, the Joint Initiative (JI-HoA) commenced in March 2017 with an overall objective to contribute to facilitating orderly, safe, regular and rights-based migration through the facilitation of dignified voluntary return and the implementation of development-focused and sustainable reintegration policies and processes.
The selected candidate will perform the following duties: responsible for providing support in the timely implementation of the programme for Somalia. In particular, he/she will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist the MPA team with daily administrative tasks related to all activities associated with the implementation of the JI project in the sub-office in Hargeisa.
- Ensure proper documentation of all activities related to the Joint Initiative project and collect supporting documents to process procurement and finance related tasks in a timely manner, following up within the team and across departments where necessary.
- Ensure that all necessary supporting documents related to provision of in-kind reintegration under the JI project for services or vendor requests are provided before payment request is submitted to Finance.
- In close coordination with MPA programme officer in Hargeisa and other relevant MPA programme staff, follow up pending Joint Initiative project tasks and update relevant staff members regarding needed actions whenever it’s required.
- Support the AVRR team to administer pocket money prior to reception assistance as well as process payment and follow up with procurement over reintegration grants for migrants and returnees according to JI procedures.
- Support logistical and administration aspects of organization of workshops, trainings and other events.
- Provide administrative and logistical planning support to staff and partners regarding duty travel, travel authorizations, security clearance, accommodation, and expense claims.
- Maintain proper organisation of the MPA shared project folder in coordination with programme staff.
- Keep track and update contact lists for project implementation.
- Arrange MPA staff meetings, draft minutes and action points for each meeting and share them with direct supervisor and MPA Program Officer.
- Informally translate to English any needed supporting documents in the local language.
- Follow up with MPA staff to submit necessary information, photos, and photo consent forms for project communication and visibility activities carried out under the Joint Initiative project.
- Perform other required duties assigned by direct supervisor, MPA Program Officer/Manager.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree with two years of relevant work experience in general administration from an accredited academic institution; or
· High School Degree with four years of relevant work experience in general administration.
- Professional experience in financial administration’.
- Experience working with international organizations IOM an advantage
- Strong computer skills, specifically hands-on experience in usage of MS Office.
Fluency in English and Somali is required.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators *level 1**
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Special Vacancy Notice Number (SVN No.), Position Title and the Duty Station with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: email@example.com**