BBC Media Action is the BBC’s international development charity. We use the power of media and communication to help reduce poverty and support people in understanding their rights. Our aim is to inform, connect and empower people around the world. We work in partnership with broadcasters, governments, non-governmental organizations and donors to share reliable, timely and useful information.
We seek to recruit the following five positions for a new governance project, designed to contribute to ‘increasing participation and trust in political processes among Somali citizens’. BBC Media Action will use media and communications to enhance engagement in political and civic processes in Somalia through increasing knowledge and understanding about political and civic rights, responsibilities, processes and issues, as well as creating space for constructive dialogue. All roles will be based in our office in Hargeisa and travel around Somalia will be required.
All roles will be offered on an 18 month contract.
*“The role may involve working with groups of vulnerable adults. For the successful candidate, mandatory training will be provided on BBC Media Action’s safeguarding policy and staff code of conduct. A police background check may form part of the recruitment process. BBC Media Action operates a zero-tolerance policy concerning all forms of abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people.”
We are looking for a qualified Project Officer with demonstratable experience in logistics and security. S/he will be responsible for project administration, procurement, organising logistics, project monitoring and drafting reports. S/he is capable of coordinating activities in accordance with work plans (including meetings, trainings, workshops, mentoring, field visits, etc.). Fluency in oral and written English and Somali is essential.
Title: Project Officer
Reports to: Senior Project Manager
The Project Officer will support the Senior Project Manger in all aspects of delivering this project. That will include administration, logistics, project planning, security, monitoring, reporting and quality assurance. It will involve working closely with BBC Media Action’s research team, production team and finance department.
- Day to day co-ordination of activities in accordance with work plans (including meetings, trainings, workshops, mentoring, field visits, etc.)
- Coordinate drama script writing, recording and production
- Support with logistics for drama recording and production
- Monitor all broadcasts and collect feedback from audiences and provide to the production team and to the project management
- Support the creation and dissemination of relevant social media materials
- Liaise with the research team regarding all research activities within the projects to ensure delivery within planned times and provision of any necessary assistance to them
- Internal monitoring of project activities
- Drafting narrative reports
- Work closely with local partners, radio stations and beneficiaries throughout the project building partnerships and fostering close collaboration
- Work with finance staff to ensure the timely use of funds and submission of project finance reports to donors
- Provide logistic support to the project team, visiting teams and consultants.
- Book travel for staff when required
- Arrange pick-up and drop off of all staff/consultants from/to the airport, meeting venues or as required
- Follow up on visas, risk assessments and travel approvals for project staff, freelancers and consultants
- Procurement of items from local suppliers or elsewhere as appropriate
- Ensure that all contracts with the project are in an updated database spreadsheet
- Liaise and coordinate customs clearing processes for donations to local partners
- Maintain appropriate levels of consumable goods and general office supplies necessary
- Coordinate closely with BBC high risk team, ensure logistical support in event of emergency, and that all necessary advance measures have been taken
- Provide all staff with regular security briefings and updates and ensure that all staff adhere to security policies and procedures
- Conduct regular security and risk assessments for all operational areas
- Ensure that field communications needs are met and that staffs are trained in the use of radios and other communications equipment as necessary
- Liaise with local authority security agencies, UN Agencies, NGOs and other external actors to gain security information and analysis in Southern regions of Somalia
- Comply with BBC Media Action’s risk assessment processes
- Willingness and ability to travel within Somaliland and Somalia
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required
- Graduate degree/diploma in management or its equivalent in relevant field
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in similar role (NGO field or country head office preferred)
- Knowledge of the current situation of South Central regions of Somalia
- Excellent IT skills, in particular Word, Excel and email
- Technical IT skills, such as networking and problem solving is an advantage
- Excellent people management skills and good communicator
- Highly organized and self-motivated
- Ability to work under high pressure and prioritize tasks
- Written and spoken English and Somali
- Strategic Thinking – can identify a vision along the plans which need to be implemented to meet the end goal. Evaluates situations, decisions, issues, etc in the short, medium and longer-term
- Analytical Thinking – Able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships, and construct frameworks, for problem solving and/or development
- Decision making – is ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decision made
- Imagination/Creative Thinking – is able to transform creative ideas/impulses into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions. Planning and Organisation – Is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines. Staffing and resources requirements
- Resilience – Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy
- Influencing and Persuading – Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change
- Communication – The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information Willingness and ability to travel within Somaliland and Somalia
How to apply:
To apply for any of these jobs get a full job description from this links: www.somalijobs.net or ‘’www.reliefweb.com, press jobs, then Somalia.
Submit your CV and a covering letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10 PM on August 7th, 2019
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.