ICRC exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance. The ICRC also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening humanitarian law and universal humanitarian principles.
About the Job
The Protection Field Officer contributes to the planning, implementation, monitoring and documentation of ICRC Protection activities in Puntland region.
This is a resident/National position based in Garowe, Somalia.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributes to the implementation of Protection of Civilian Population (PCP) activities
- Conducts field assessments either independently or as part of ICRC multidisciplinary teams focusing on the humanitarian needs of affected populations
- Supports detention visiting teams if/when need be
- Supports the ICRC or the Somali Red Crescent Society in restoring family links (RFL) activities
- Contributes in the analysis of the overall situation within the region, identification of humanitarian needs and reporting
- In coordination with the Deputy Head of Office, identifies humanitarian needs resulting from conflict or violence and proposes a course of action
- Contributes to the definition of annual objectives and plans of action of the ICRC Protection department
- Prepares operational reports and regularly shares an update of ongoing protection activities including multidisciplinary assessments
Minimum qualifications and required competencies
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences, Development Studies, Law or relevant qualification in a related field of study
- At least 4 years of experience in a similar field of activities
- Knowledge of International Humanitarian Law/International Human Rights Law is an asset
- Ability to network, represent the organization externally and dialogue with major stakeholders
- Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Somali
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills
- Upholds a high sense of responsibility and confidentiality
- Computer proficiency especially in MS Office suite
A challenging job opportunity within a dynamic work environment in an international humanitarian organization
Training and development opportunities
A competitive salary with benefits, based on the ICRC Compensation and Benefits framework
How to apply
Apply by sending your cover letter and CV addressed to the Human Resources Manager, ICRC Somalia Delegation, on the email address firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter must indicate your current salary and your expected salary range. The closing date is 9th June 2021. Clearly indicate the position title in the subject line of your email message.
NOTE THAT ONLY EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted and canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. Any enquiries about the position should be addressed to email@example.com.