POSITION: PUBLIC HEALTH EXPERT
REPORTS TO: TEAM LEADER
Nature and Scope of the Position
The Public Health Officer will ensure that Mercy USA‘s health and nutrition programmes meet minimum Mercy USA and international standards and minimize avoidable mortality and morbidity among populations of concern. The Public Health Expert supports and provides guidance to the health and nutrition focal points and officers in our field offices
Duties and Responsibilities
- Observe health status to recognize and solve community health issues.
- Encourage community partnerships and action to identify and resolve health related issues.
- Implement laws and regulations that secure health and ensure safety.
- Ensure qualified public and personal health care staff.
- Identify and investigate health issues and health hazards in the people.
- Provide communities required personal health services and ensure the provision of health care.
- Develop plans and policies that help individual and community health initiatives.
- Search for new ideas and innovative solutions to health issues.
- Notify, educate, and empower people regarding health problems.
- Design or use monitoring tools, like as screening, lab records, and vital information, to recognize health risks.
- Develop tools to address behavioral causes of diseases.
- Assess the effectiveness of recommended risk reduction actions or other interventions.
- Recognize groups at threat for specific preventable diseases.
- Carry out epidemiological research of acute and chronic diseases.
- Prepare precautionary health reports, which include problem explanations, analyses, alternate solutions, and suggestions.
- Manage or coordinate the work of doctors, nurses, statisticians, or other staff members.
- Educate or train medical team regarding precautionary medicine problems.
- Design, implement, or assess health service delivery systems to enhance the health of specific communities.
· A clinical background with postgraduate training/Degree in Public Health or related field
· Knowledge of public health, nutrition and HIV in humanitarian emergencies
· 4 years minimum experience in similar position working as a Public Health Officer/ Health Officer/ Clinical Officer in a humanitarian emergency and recovery context
· Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts.
· Experience of implementing USAID,UN,EAC,DFID, ECHO funded projects
· Experience working with budgets, including managing financial outlays and expenditures
Work related skills
- Strong knowledge of the programme management cycle, and related process and structures for quality programme management
- Good organizational skills
- Experience with scaling up of humanitarian programs in strictly controlled context is an asset
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including diplomacy and negotiation
- Good time management skills
- Strong communication skills, including ability to lead and manage remote
- Ability to work in harsh conditions
- Strategic thinking
- Aggressive and Result Oriented
- Able to meet set own targets and meet own targets on a monthly basis and follow up targets of reporting colleagues
- Able to meet deadlines
- Able to identify programme challenges and plan and communicate alternatives for smooth programme implementation
· Ability to work under pressure
· Team player
· Strong interpersonal skills
· Strong customer relation skills
Due to the nature of Mercy USA Operations, flexibility is indispensable and unavoidable.
How to apply:
About Mercy USA
Mercy-USA for Aid and Development is dedicated to alleviating human suffering and supporting individuals and their communities in their efforts to become more self-sufficient. Incorporated in the State of Michigan in 1988, Mercy-USA’s projects focus on improving health, nutrition and access to safe water, as well as promoting economic and educational growth around the world.
Any interested candidate can send a CV and cover letter to the following email address: email@example.com
This position is only open to Somalilander’s and will close on 20th August 2019