Re-advertisement Administration Associate, G6 Garowe (142801)
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The World Food Programme Somalia activities include food assistance for relief, school feeding, nutrition, food for assets creation through provision of in-kind and cash-based transfers and safety nets.
This position is open to qualified Somali candidates. Female candidates are especially are encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure all administrative activities are conducted in line with the Administrative Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs);
- Review supporting documentation, verify claims for action and conformance with administrative rules and regulations and liaise with other offices/units as appropriate;
- Verify resource requirements in the area of responsibility (WFP facilities, assets, light vehicle fleet, etc.), and assist in the identification of new requirements to facilitate efficiency and cost-effectiveness of operations and services.
- Responsible for provision of services such as facilities management, travel, protocol, and light vehicle management related, etc., reporting any discrepancies to the supervisor for consistent and timely delivery of services, to ensure the provision of a safe and comfortable working environment for WFP staff.
- Support the production of various data; compile and prepare reports in order to contribute to the provision of accurate information for informative decision-making and to support the effective and timely management of WFP resources.
- Contribute to planning, monitoring, and processing administrative actions related to procurement, finance, human resources, etc., including contracts with external vendors to ensure all data is accurately and timely recorded, processed in WFP corporate systems, and any operational issues addressed.
- Adapt and update administrative processes, supporting the implementation of operating procedures, in order to contribute to the continuous improvement of administration services in the area of responsibility.
- Answer a range of queries related to the provision of administrative services in order to support the resolution of daily issues.
- Coordinate the activities of a team of staff working in the area, to ensure individual and team objectives are met in compliance with all relevant regulations, policies, and procedures, and performance plans.
- Provide training and guidance to staff in interpretation of administrative procedures, policies, processes, and use of corporate systems to ensure consistency and efficiency of services provided to all clients.
- Supervise the outsourced contractors providing a variety of services, including cleaning and catering services, to ensure service provision in accordance with WFP specifications; maintain database of contracts validity and ensure timely processing of related payments
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Education: Completion of Secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in administration or related functional area is desirable.
Experience: Five years of progressively responsible support experience in general administration work with at least one year work experience in the field of accounting, human resources and procurement-related work.
Language: Proficiency in oral and written communication in Somali and English is a requirement.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge and experience of common business processes, procedures and systems in Administrative work;
- Ability to identify data discrepancies and rectify problems requiring attention.
- Ability to offer guidance or basic on-the-job training to more junior staff.
- Experience in utilizing office equipment and computers, including word processing, spreadsheet and other software packages. Knowledge of UN/WFP administrative regulations and rules in the area of work is an added advantage
Terms and Conditions:
Contract Duration: 1 year (initial)
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications through E-Recruitment.
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.