Re-advertisement - Administrative & Finance Assistant, GS-5, Fixed Term, Hargeisa, Somalia, Post #105351 (Open for Somali Nationals Only)
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
How can you make a difference?
The Administrative & Finance Assistant is responsible for executing a broad variety of standardized administrative and financial tasks for the respective section(s) requiring thorough knowledge of UNICEF administrative and financial procedures, processes and policies.
In this capacity, the need to project the image of a credible and reliable service provider is imperative to quality of process delivery, and the impact of work directly reflects on the overall reputation of the team in terms of responsiveness to client needs and quality of process execution.
Summary of key accountabilities:
- Provides travel assistance to staff in section for travel arrangements and entitlements based on the organizations rules and policies. Liaises with relevant travel focal points to ensure that the organization obtains the best service and price for all travel.
- Briefs/de-briefs staff members on issues relating to related administrative matters such as visas, security clearance, documentation procedures.
- Extracts, inputs, maintains and verifies correctness of travel records in the organizations travel system to ensure accurate transactions related to travel costs and staff travel
- Assist in the preparation of budgets on travel costs and maintain travel budgetary control records.
- Responsible for collecting invoices and filing documents for approval and, thereafter processing in vision.
- Upload electronic files and verify results to destination system.
- Respond to client transaction status and other inquiries.
Support to Financial Control
- Maintain unit/work plans and budgets as well as off line financial status reports for Unit work plans.
- Monitor and advise budget owners on financial status of projects and potential over-expenditures and recommend possibilities for reallocation to ensure the optimum use available funds.
- Review and process payments in VISON related to HACT, utility payments, supplies, PO, advances and other payments. Check the requests have the necessary supporting documents, usually the original document, validity of the charge, they are certified by the staff responsible and are coded correctly. File the transactions and the related supporting documents regularly and share copies with relevant sections as required.
- Process budget revisions of Unit projects for approval of the Chief.
- Submit periodic financial reports for management oversight, monitoring and review and confirm availability of funds as required.
- Process requisitions and prepare payment vouchers for the unit.
- Provide relevant information for the response to audits.
Contracting of consultants or other service providers
- Facilitates the processing of contracts for consultants and external partners that provide a service to the section. This includes preparing and filing documents, completing necessary forms and templates, uploading TORâ€™s in vision, and making necessary logistical arrangements.
- Keeps vendor lists, partners, and consultant rosters up-to-date.
- Arrange for the purchase and timely distribution of office supplies.
Events and Conferences
- Supports capacity development activities and conferences by making the logistical arrangements, through engaging with facilitators, caterers and hosts.
- Arranges times through liaising with participants over availability.
- Liaises with budget focal points and section over costs and needs.
- Prepares background materials for participants and uploads cleared materials in the intranet.
- Prepares and maintains agendas on meeting and events related to the work group commitments.
General Administrative Duties
- Maintain hard and electronic files and update data base systems ensuring timely and appropriate recording, safekeeping and disposal of confidential information
- Maintain attendance records
To qualify as a champion for every child you will have:
- Completion of secondary education preferably supplemented by technical or university courses related to the work of the organization.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible administrative or clerical work experience is required.
- Fluency in English and local language of the duty station is required.
For every Child, you demonstrate...
UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The core competencies required for this post are...
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
- Works Collaboratively with others (1)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (1)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (1)
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
Click here to learn more about UNICEF’s values and competencies.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
- Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply the position.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process