We are looking for a qualified Research Officer with demonstrable experience in research design and implementation (mixed methods) in Somalia. Skills in developing and refining research instruments, data collection, analysis and report writing essential. Fluency in Somali and English is required.
Title: Research Officer
Reports to: Senior project manager
The Research Officer will support the co-ordination and implementation of research activities within BBC Media Action’s projects in Somalia and Somaliland, with support from local Senior Researcher Officer and the research team in London. The Research Officer holds day to day responsibility for research elements within delegated project(s). S/he carries out research, prepares reports and delivers presentations in line with project requirements. S/he supports the project team as required.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Support the Senior Research Officer in the design and planning of both qualitative and quantitative research, including designing research tools
- To commission monitor and conduct research inputs (e.g., focus group sessions, case studies, etc.), working to budget and deadline requirements
- Fieldwork coordination and logistics planning, including liaising with freelance researchers or agencies to ensure quality control and timely delivery of research outputs, including negotiations on technical matters, such as recruitment and analysis, field supervision, instrument development and administration as well as data analysis
- Moderate Focus Group Discussions and conduct In- Depth Interviews as well as other qualitative methods, as required
- To support the analysis of qualitative and quantitative data and reporting of research findings to various stakeholders including the project team, production teams, donors, etc.
- Comply with BBC Media Action’s risk assessment processes
- Willingness and ability to travel within Somaliland and Somalia
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- University degree in a subject that is relevant to the application of research and learning theory and practice
- Previous experience of undertaking research with working knowledge of qualitative (focus groups, interviews etc) research techniques
- Data analysis knowledge and experience – including thematic analysis of qualitative data and an understanding of data analysis software techniques (including Excel and SPSS)
- Fluent in English and Somali (written and oral) with ability to write high quality reports in English.
- Ability to communicate clearly and appropriately both to colleagues and interviewees from a wide range of backgrounds
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work speedily and accurately under pressure
- Ability to plan and conduct work with minimal supervision
- Ability to select relevant data, identify key trends, issues and solutions, and present key information in easily understandable formats.
- Ability to think logically, take an analytical approach, critically evaluate ideas and interpret information from different sources
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with partner organisations
- Ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues and work as a team member, demonstrating good interpersonal skills
- Excellent IT skills, including use of internet search engines, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Self-motivated and willing to learn using own initiative, demonstrating a proactive approach and ability to deliver on time and brief without close supervision
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills: responding flexibly to rapidly changing priorities, planning and prioritising activities and tailoring outputs effectively taking into account deadlines and resources
- Excellent presentational skills with the ability to develop electronic and paper-based presentations, communicate effectively to audiences, and respond to questions
- In-depth working knowledge of the culture, media environment and politics of Somalia particularly south central regions.
- Willingness to travel in Somaliland and Somalia.
- Commitment to the aims and objectives to BBC Media Action
- Strategic Thinking – Can identify a vision along with the plans which need to be implemented to meet the end goal. Evaluates situations, decisions, issues, etc. in the short, medium and longer-term.
- Analytical Thinking – Able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships, and construct frameworks, for problem-solving and/or development.
- Decision Making – Is ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decision made.
- Imagination/Creative Thinking – Is able to transform creative ideas/impulses into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
- Planning and Organisation – Is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Resilience – Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, set backs or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Influencing and Persuading – Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Communication – The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
BBC Media Action is the BBC’s international development charity. We use the power of media and communication to help reduce poverty and support people in understanding their rights. Our aim is to inform, connect and empower people around the world. We work in partnership with broadcasters, governments, non-governmental organizations and donors to share reliable, timely and useful information.
We seek to recruit the following five positions for a new governance project, designed to contribute to ‘increasing participation and trust in political processes among Somali citizens’. BBC Media Action will use media and communications to enhance engagement in political and civic processes in Somalia through increasing knowledge and understanding about political and civic rights, responsibilities, processes and issues, as well as creating space for constructive dialogue. All roles will be based in our office in Hargeisa and travel around Somalia will be required.
All roles will be offered on an 18 month contract.
*“The role may involve working with groups of vulnerable adults. For the successful candidate, mandatory training will be provided on BBC Media Action’s safeguarding policy and staff code of conduct. A police background check may form part of the recruitment process. BBC Media Action operates a zero-tolerance policy concerning all forms of abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people.”*
How to apply:
o apply for any of these jobs get a full job description from this links: www.somalijobs.net or ‘’www.reliefweb.com, press jobs, then Somalia.
Submit your CV and a covering letter by email to email@example.com by 10 PM on August 7th, 2019
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.