Action Against Hunger-USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian relief in over 40 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water/sanitation, and food security. Action Against Hunger-USA, an independent NGO, currently manages operations in 8 countries: Kenya, South Sudan, Cambodia, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Haiti and Somalia. Action Against Hunger-USA has over $75 million in programs, and approximately 2000 staff based in in the various country offices, Head Quarter in New York City and Operational Centre in Nairobi. Additional growth is anticipated.
Summary of Position
The Reproductive Health Officer is responsible for planning, implementation and monitoring of the Action Against Hunger reproductive health related interventions in Bakool. The RH officer is a revoing position based in Elberde and she will report to the health and nutrition program manager. The officer will strengthen and coordinate Action Against Hunger RH services with other actors and the incumbent is responsible for ensuring adherence to the implementation of program activities according to nationally accepted standards.
As a RHC officer, the staff will support field team and oversee day-to-day implementation of reproductive health activities as per Action against Hunger standards as well as aligning programming to required guidelines. He/she will work with MoH staff and provide technical support to MoH facilities at the district level in south west state.
- Representing reproductive health issues at the district level through the engagement of DMO and local authorities.
- Identifying partners and other agencies in the area (gap analysis of who is doing what where), Introduce the program to the local authorities, community representatives, beneficiaries, and partners.
- Developing a framework for communication with local representatives (regular meetings, identification of key local actors, and collaboration with them) to facilitate harmonious and productive relations.
- Participate in regular coordination meetings at field level with the MoH staff
- Organize regular meetings with other sectors within AAH and other agencies in the area and plan for joint activities.
- Establishment of quality assurance system for Universal Access to Reproductive Health
- Enhancing quality services for maternal health through the establishment of an EMOC Referral Model.
- Piloting to reduce unmet need for family planning
- Prevention of HIV transmission through the integration of STI’s management in the ANC
- Delivery of the ASRH programme initiatives.
Essential job duties.
Objective 1: Ensure high quality sexual, reproductive health intervention implemented in Action Against Hunger target locations:
- Ensure delivery of an integrated SRH/HIV prevention activities for women of reproductive age including through Protect the goal campaign and SBCC training.
- Coordinate monthly integrated mobile SRHR outreaches, with inbuilt screening, identification, and referral of cases.
- Coordinate awareness raising, before and during integrated SRHR service delivery to mobilize the communities for services.
- Ensure continuous provision of SRH supplies required to conduct the SRHR services are available at all times.
- Ensure integration of menstrual hygiene management for Adolescent girls to keep girls in school.
- Maintain a good record keeping system and undertake continuous monitoring and regular evaluation of the project activities.
- Collaborate with the district to identify and roll out a communication strategy for the Health program including the printing and distribution of IEC materials focusing on SRH information.
- Using the existing VHTs and Health workers support the district to conduct health promotion outreach Camps and sensitization activities to promote uptake of SRHR services using messages approved by the Ministry of Health (MoH).
- Coordinate with the sub counties to facilitate the quarterly convergence point’s meetings at sub-counties level.
- Plan and coordinate trainings for structures; Peer educators and leaders on SRH and support the respective meetings.
- Participate in the development of program work plans and reviewing them on a monthly basis with the Managers.
- Assist in the preparation of the donor reports and project reports.
- Ensure that all activities are implemented according to the work plan and that targets are met.
- Liaises and creates strong linkages and partnerships with other agencies, state, and national stakeholders implementing RH prevention and control services in the targeted area.
Objective 2: Reporting
- Submit reports regularly as required, information to the Managers on program related activities
- Submit weekly, monthly and Quarterly activity reports to Managers.
- Maintain proper records for all correspondences of the program.
- Responsible for sharing minutes for all relevant official meetings held in the field.
Objective 3: Representation & Coordination
- Represent Action Against Hunger in coordination meetings, workshops, working groups, task force meetings.
- Represent Action Against Hunger Program in the District Health Management Team, to ensure all program activities are carried out with their collaboration.
Budgeting of communication and advocacy related activities/ interventions and ensure implementation of these activities within budget, scope and time.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames Under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Gender Equality Commitments
- Foster an environment that supports values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Respect beneficiaries women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion, race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect all cultures.
Working Conditions, Travel and Environment.
The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required.
Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business purposes. While performing the duties of this job in the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well as to infectious diseases.
Required Qualifications and Professional Experience.
- Bacholar in medicine, midwifey, Nursing, Social Sciences or related fields,
- Minimum of 2 years of work experience in a similar field in Somalia context.
Required Skills & Competencies.
- Excellent communication skills-verbal and written ones. Communication in English is a key requirement. Knowledge of Somali language is an advantage.
- Self-motivated, honest, highly responsible, and punctual.
- Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle gender sensitivity
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as to work autonomously when required
- Ability to constructively address gaps and weaknesses.
- Self-motivated, creative, open-minded, flexible and manage personal stress
How to Apply
Applications, including CV with cover letter and 3 professional references to be sent via email to:
email@example.com not later than 29th May 2021 clearly mentioning the position on the subject line. Roving Reproductive Health Officer -Elbarde
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.