Background on ACTED
ACTED is a French humanitarian NGO, founded in 1993, which supports vulnerable populations, affected by humanitarian crises worldwide. ACTED provides continued support to vulnerable communities by ensuring the sustainability of post-crisis interventions and engaging long-term challenges facing our target populations, in order to break the poverty cycle, foster development and reduce vulnerability to disasters. Their interventions seek to cover the multiple aspects of humanitarian and development crises through a multidisciplinary approach which is both global and local, and adapted to each context.
ACTED is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team player to fill the Security Officer Position in Hargeisa.
This position will support the Security Manager ensure that the security standards of ACTED staff are high and ensure high-level security of all ACTED assets, property and resources within ACTED sphere of influence and context of operations. They will acquire operational comprehensive understanding of ACTED program in Somalia/Somaliland and provide support and advice in terms of security. He/she is accountable for compliance of ACTED security and safety guidelines
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Context analysis
- Provide regular contextual security report and share with Security Manager.
- Security Assessments
- In consultation with the mission’s Security Department, carry out security assessments and evaluations (Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS) self-assessment) in all ACTED area, particularly in Somalia/Somaliland.
- Update Security risks assessment, SOPs and others security documents as appropriate and share with Coordination and all local staff and ensure the security notice rules are applied.
- Operational support
- Report any damage to perimeter fence, warehouse or other structures to the Logistics team.
- Ensure constant update of the emergency contact list and timely issuance of ID cards.
- Ensure a proper level of preparation before movement on the field, transportation means are adapted, a good fleet maintenance, and set movement rules which are adapted to the local context to support the Logistic team in Country. Ensure Operational follow-up of movements.
- Briefing and training
- In collaboration with the Security Manager, provide security briefings for all incoming ACTED staff with follow-up periodically or when applicable.
- In collaboration with the Security Manager, provide security briefing to staff as needed and ensure that all staffs adhere to security policies and procedures. This includes briefing to all newly recruited staff joining ACTED, and induction briefings for visiting personnel.
- Liaison with humanitarian, military, community and other actors
- Establish a strong relationship with others security actors, including INGO, SNGO and agencies working in the security management filed.
- Share security updates with the Security Manager
- Report on all compound security and reporting from bases on agreed time-frames.
- Fill reports in case of security incident and follow up as appropriate.
- Fill the incident data base for the mission and centralize the national incident data base.
- Participate in the writing/updating of Country Security Plan and annexes.
- Record the field security focal points in the Security Monitoring Plan daily.
- Ensure proper filing/file maintenance of security related documents.
Perform other duties as requested by supervisor
- Bachelor degree in Arts, Social Sciences, Management, or a related security field. However, a diploma in security management backed by strong relevant technical experience will also be considered.
- A minimum of three years relevant experience on security, preferably at a management position, in an NGO.
- Deep and clear understanding of humanitarian principles and activities.
- Good understanding of security procedures and equipment.
- In-depth knowledge of security management and risk management.
- Excellent resistance to stressful situations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective work relations at all levels.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision, pro-active and a good team-player.
- Demonstrable experience in report writing and analysis.
- Fluency in Somali language is an added advantage.
- High level of integrity, transparency and honesty.
- This position will require frequent travel to ACTED’s areas of intervention the country.
Qualified Nationals with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter as a single document i.e. with the cover letter being on the first page and the CV starting on the second page, detailing three work related referees and contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org and received on or before 5.00PM on 31stAugust 2019with the subject line“SECURITY OFFICER – HARGEISA”
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Please do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments.
ACTED is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. ACTED has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outlines the expected behavior and the responsibility of all staff, beneficiaries, consultants and other stakeholders and has zero tolerance towards misconducts. Any candidate offered a job with ACTED will be expected to sign ACTED’s organizational Policies and Code of Conduct as an annex to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.