Islamic Relief Somalia (IRS) has been operating in Somalia since 2006 and has responded to conflict and drought affected people through provision of life saving assistance. Through our projects, IR has continuously been providing safe drinking water, improving hygienic sanitation facilities, increasing hygiene awareness, particularly to ones living in IDP camps; empowering the urban poor and distressed working children, engaging in conflict management and mitigation and strengthening of community cohesiveness and co-existence.
The Senior food security and livelihood officer is responsible to coordinate, supervises, and provides technical assistance for the implementation FSL project activities in Puntland. S/he will actively participate in, and strengthen, Food security multi-sectoral coordination among the various relevant sectors; identify strategies and facilitate the implementation of food security programming activities among vulnerable household; ensuring proper documentation of information, data, experiences and lessons learnt. S/he shall provide consistent and strong technical support to the Islamic Relief Worldwide.
The position holder act as technical FSL staff and will coordinate, manage resources and implement FSL activities, including supervising project staffs, overseeing project implementation and management, and working closely with government counterparts.
- To plan and follow the activities of the project with the team such as field assessments, market price monitoring, and distribution of livelihood inputs (agricultural seeds & tools), implementation of trainings for food production and development for livelihood activities
- Support the planning and implementation of all assigned project activities as outlined in the project implementation plan in line with IRW program quality principles and standards, donor requirements, and good practices.
- Coordinate, supervise, and provide technical assistance for proper implementation of food security and livelihood activities of the project as well as other fsl activities implementing by IR
- Facilitate the implementation of activities to secure improved livelihood conditions of the beneficiaries, including providing technical training on beneficiaries’ requirements and ensure target committee establishment with respective villages.
- Lead and coordinate selection of the project beneficiaries and verification with EBMs online registration
- Coordinate and facilitate provision of training/orientation to selected beneficiaries on improved practices and technique in production and management to promote and strengthen HHs resilience
- Led post-distribution assessment/monitoring of beneficiaries before provision of second distributions.
- Ensure FSL activities are implemented in monthly bases based on standard payment procedures and agreed timelines as per project documents
- Conduct regular follow up and joint close post-distribution monitoring on proper use of FSL supports for the intended purposes.
- Ensure allocated resources reach the right beneficiaries, for the right objective, and in a timely manner.
- Verify and review targeted beneficiaries eligible for the provision of response
- Support reporting and monitoring and evaluation, assuring that quality reports are submitted using standard project formats and in a timely manner.
Budgeting and Budget Management
- Prepares monthly & quarterly project activity-based budget and attend BvA reviews
- Follows up on budget utilization and project budget expenditure.
- Review the project budget and prepare spending plan for every activity
Partnership and Capacity Building
- Facilitates communication and interaction between the target communities, local government authorities and IRW as necessary.
- Closely work with FSL Partners in the areas of Operation of IRS
- Attend cluster meeting and update partners with IRS interventions to avoid gaps and overlaps
- Facilitates and supports the field level project officer & facilitators to work closely with partner NGO staff in the course of project planning, implementation and monitoring.
Organizes experience sharing forum
- Experience conducting trainings, training of trainers, and organizational capacity building
- Knowledge and learning ability to integrate gender issues in agriculture and livelihood interventions.
- Abide by the NGO/Red Cross Code of Conduct, the People in Aid Code, HAP, and Islamic Relief’s policies and procedures.
- Any other assignment given by supervisor/line management.
- Work independently on tasks related to project planning and implementation with periodic reporting and direction from supervisor;
- Make decisions on project implementation and its daily management responsibly based on available resources, skills and knowledge of staff and access to affected communities;
- Ensure implementation of locally appropriate and feasible projects in close consultation with local authorities and communities;
- Proper management of financial resources, equipment and project utilities.
- Work in adherence to IR’s policies and procedures
Qualifications and Experiences
- Bachelor's Degree in Fisheries, Livestock production, Agriculture-plant science/environmental science/rural, and related fields also specialized courses in FSL will be added advantage
- Minimum of 4 years work experience in FSL work in the INGO environment, including exposure to field operations in both emergency and development programs
- Strong reports writing skills
- Proficiency in computer applications including Word, excel, power point and other applications
How to Apply
- IRW Somalia Program is inviting applications from qualified/Motivated candidates who are interested to submit their CVs and cover letters explaining, how they meet Job description.
- Each application should be addressed to the HR account: email@example.com include the following:
- An updated CV; and
- An application letter
- Academic Qualifications (certificates/Transcripts)
- Copy of your National ID card or passport
- Contact information for three work-related referees.
- Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. IRW is an equal opportunity employer. Note: Please make sure the job title in the mail subject line is clear as “Senior FSL officer Garowe”.