CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements.
In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
Overview of position
- Since the formation of the FGOS, the country has made significant progress towards restoring peace & security. However, significant destabilizing factors remain. These include, most notably, the extant presence of violent extremist group Al-Shabaab, particularly in rural areas, recurrent, unresolved clan, land, resource based conflicts, weak, nascent institutions & the internal displacement of more than 2 million individuals. Whilst the transition, recovery & development needs of Somalia, after almost 3 decades of civic conflict & violent extremism remain a long term, if not generational process, such progress will be unachievable in the absence of solid foundations for peace & security, particularly at community levels.
- Within this context, our client is building on its existing stabilization programming & will be working further to support stabilization efforts in newly recovered, unstable & fragile areas in South & Central Somalia: Hirshabelle, Galmudug, Jubaland, South West State & BRA through our clients EU funded stabilization program, locally named Daryeel. The program harnesses the stabilization gains made by previous stabilization programs (EU ICSP phase I & SSI) & aims to contribute to stabilization efforts in Somalia through creating conditions for restoring trust among communities, between communities & local leadership, thereby re building the social contract between Somali citizens, state institutions & providing a bridge to longer term development interventions.
- Our client is therefore recruiting a Senior Program Assistant, under the overall supervision of the RDS Program Manager & the direct supervision of the RDS Community Stabilization Officer, to support the Daryeel Program activities in Galmudug state (GS). The successful candidate will be in charge of field level implementation of activities & liaison with local govt. counterparts & community members on the ground. This position is based in Dhusamareeb & will require frequent travel within Galmugud state (security permitting).
- Establish relationships with target communities, local govt., authorities & stabilization actors / partners in the region in order to effectively implement stabilization activities in target areas.
- Coordinate with relevant govt. authorities & ministries in support of community stabilization interventions through joint planning, setting of communication channels & having regular coordination meetings & drafting implementation plans with aim of improving the coordination between our client & their govt. counterparts.
- Provide logistical & administrative support to the National Stabilization Officer in coordination with the CFTs to organize community consultations.
- Ensure our clients presence in stabilization fora in Galmudug by participating in coordination mechanisms, govt. led meetings for partners & other forums for stabilization activities in Galmudug, when required.
- Prepare & implement Community Based Planning & Implementation (CBPI) activities at field level by facilitating CBP, assist communities in producing Community Action Plans (CAPs) & support in implementation of community priorities through matching grants or client funding.
- Provide logistical & administrative coordination in organizing prioritized public works & other events prioritized through the community consultations.
- Prepare & implement stabilization activities including but not limited to reconciliation, social cohesion, innovative livelihood & peace dividend activities to enhance vertical & horizontal trust.
- Ensure smooth implementation of stabilization activities by preparing procurement & finance related documents in coordination with RMU, as well as monitor timely arrival & payment of materials & services.
- Monitor progress of activities against planning document at field level including site visits, regular meetings with community members & leaders, govt. authorities to ensure timely & quality implementation.
- Contribute to design & monitoring of activity budget allocated to specific stabilization activities in close coordination with National Officer & Community Stabilization Officer to ensure efficient & effective use of resources.
- Identify destabilizing factors at field level, conduct field assessments, draft reports including analysis & recommendations to feed into design of potential stabilization activities.
- Contribute towards development of stabilization activities in Galmudug state through identification of opportunities for but not limited to reconciliation, social cohesion, CBPI.
- Provide regular updates & prepare stabilization activity reports & / or provide inputs & written updates for govt. counterparts or for reporting including but not limited to donor reports, donor briefings & weekly updates.
- Undertake duty travels to provide technical support for activity implementation as needed.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned, based on needs & the capacity of the candidate.
This role will work under the overall supervision of the RDS Program Manager & the direct supervision of the RDS Community Stabilization Officer.
University Degree in Social Sciences, Development Studies, International Relation or Business Administration or a related field with 5 years’ experience.
- 5 years of relevant professional experience in & community driven development initiatives.
- Demonstrated knowledge in durable solutions, stabilization & peacebuilding concepts.
- Previous work experience in coordinating with local, state govt. authorities & CSO's in Galmudug.
- Demonstrated proficiency & knowledge of information technology in MS Office applications especially Excel, Word & PowerPoint.
- Thorough knowledge & understanding of govt. structures & current dynamics in Somalia.
- Demonstrated capacity to understand & analyze the national, regional & local political context in Somalia.
- Excellent communication & writing skills, ability to analyze complex problems, identify & convey clear, rapid, solutions.
- Effective resource management skills, ability to work with a large pool of staff in a dynamic, operational program environment, ability to develop & maintain budgetary discipline across a wide range of grant activities.
- Ability to engender group involvement, team spirit & participation, must be able to lead teams effectively in order to achieve the desired goals.
- Ability to work effectively & harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures & professional backgrounds, exhibiting a high degree of sensitivity toward other cultures & dedication to the promotion of interethnic cooperation, peacebuilding & tolerance, demonstrated gender awareness & gender sensitivity.
- Willing to uphold & enforce professional standards of conduct, in accordance with relevant donor requirements.
- Ability to exhibit discretion in the conduct of professional duties.
- Personal commitment, drive for results & adaptability in the workplace as required by changing program conditions & requirements.
- Ability to work under difficult conditions while maintaining security awareness.
- In depth knowledge of community stabilization activities implemented by the organization.
- Liaison expertise with local govt. & communities.
- Working experience with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Must be fluent in English & Somali is required.
- Knowledge of other UN official language is desirable.
- Respects, promotes individual & cultural differences, encourages diversity & inclusion wherever possible.
- Maintains high ethical standards & acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles / rules & standards of conduct.
- Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent & committed manner & exercises careful judgment in meeting day to day challenges.
- Develops & promotes effective collaboration within & across units to achieve shared goals & optimize results.
- Produces & delivers quality results in a service oriented & timely manner, is action oriented & committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge & innovate.
- Takes ownership for achieving the organization’s priorities & assumes responsibility for own action & delegated work.
- Encourages & contributes to clear & open communication, explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring & motivational way.
This role has no team management responsibility
- Candidate applying for this role MUST upload a copy of their latest resume on their candidate profiles.
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.