CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements. In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
Overview of position
Somalia is characterized by a complex migration crisis caused by conflict, natural disasters and a general lack of opportunities. Both conflict and natural disasters have led to the displacement of millions of people, both internally and across international borders, resulting in approximately 1 million refugees in the region and 1.1 internally displaced persons. Further, an unknown number of migrants and refugees have also left the country towards Europe and the Middle East, as well as to Southern Africa. The situation in Somalia remains volatile with recurring drought and floods and an ongoing conflict between the Federal Government of Somalia with Al-Shabaab as well as inter-clan conflicts. While the situation in Somaliland is more stable, the recent drought and influx of returnees from Yemen, as well as the large number of IDPs pose a strain on the government’s capacity to respond.
Recent gains in stability, political development and a changing environment in the neighbouring countries, however, have led to an increasing number of Somalilanders/Somalis returning to their country, leading to an increasing need to improve the coping capacities of return areas but also opening up opportunities for recovery, as many returnees have skills that are direly needed in Somaliland. The potential closure of Dadaab further highlights the need for comprehensive return and reintegration programming. The conflict in Yemen has further also led to significant return of Somalilanders/Somalis who require support. Durable solutions of IDPs are increasingly on the agenda within the framework of recovery and stabilization.
The selected Senior Programme Assistant - Migrant Protection and Assistance Division (MPA) based in Berbera, will support with the MPA National Programme Officer with both programmatic and administrative tasks in Berbera to ensure the successful implementation of activities within the framework of MPA portfolio
Under the overall supervision of the Programme Manager – Migrant Protection and Assistance Division, the direct supervision of the MPA National Programme Officer, based in Hargeisa, and in close cooperation and coordination with other programme units, in particular Migrant Health Division (MHD), the incumbent will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Provide specialized assistance in the planning, implementation and monitoring of Migrant Protection and Assistance Division activities in Berbera, and surrounding areas.
- Provide inputs for proposals and donor reports on MPA portfolio to the MPA National Programme Officer and MPA Programme Officer/Manager.
- Support the coordination and implementation with all MPA activities, with a focus on the return of Somalis and facilitated Assisted Spontaneous Returnees (ASR), and self-Spontaneous Arrivals (SA) from Yemen by providing reception and onward transportation assistance.
- Coordinate with local and regional Government and inform/update them on IOM activities/programming, etc.
- Coordinate, organize and participate in assessments and field missions related to MPA activities.
- Represent the unit in internal and external meetings as assigned by the MPA National Programme Officer and/or the MPA Programme Officer/Manager in Hargeisa and/or Mogadishu.
- Act main focal point for Yemen returns tracking sheet numbers and database for both Berbera (Somaliland), and Bossaso (Puntland) and provide monthly reports to MPA National Programme Officer, and MPA Information Management Officer in Mogadishu.
- Coordinate daily activities with seconded MoH medical team to IOM health clinic in Berbera, Somaliland.
- Keep track of financial spending on assigned activities.
- Provide inputs to procurement plans and ensure procurement for assigned activities is completed in a timely fashion
- Provide inputs for tenders, calls for proposals, agreements and other project relevant documents with regards to MPA portfolio.
- Monitor work of local implementing partners and sub-contractors and report back to the MPA National Programme Officer/MPA Programme Officer/Manger.
- Continuously monitor to assess the progress of project implementation and recommend action to the MPA National Programme Officer in Hargeisa.
- Provide inputs to project reports and project updates
- Undertake duty travels as needed.
Project reporting: MPA National Programme Officer/Team Leader – Hargeisa Office
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Team management: This role has team coordination & supervision responsibilities.
Further information: Please note that only qualified candidates with Valid passport/National ID will be shortlisted for this role.
Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.