Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future. At present, Adeso has programs in Somalia, Kenya and South Sudan.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
Adeso is looking for a dynamic and competent Senior Project Officer that will be based in Badhan with frequent travel to the project areas and other Adeso program areas in Somalia /Somaliland. The incumbent will be a full time member of Adeso Somalia team and will play a crucial role in the implementation of the project. Due to the urgency of this position, the applications will be reviewed on rolling basis and the potential candidates are encouraged to apply early.
- Lead teams of Project Officers (PO) and Community Facilitators (CF).
- Ensure regular planning and high quality project implementation in line with the overall project strategies, approach and methodology.
- Implement project work with communities.
- Ensure regular monitoring, documentation, and reporting.
- Liaise and coordinate with government, development and humanitarian agencies, private sector, and other stakeholders at State level.
- Overall responsible for the Badhan office management
SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead teams of Senior Project Officers (PO) and Community Facilitators (CF).
- Ensure that all project staff are sufficiently skilled to perform their work. Assess project staff capacity building needs, jointly develop capacity building plans and supervise their implementation.
- Train project staff. Provide on-the-job capacity building.
- Supervise and backstop project staff regular field work.
- Organize (in cooperation with Program Manager) training for program team
- Coordinate directly with Operations Officer, Program Manager, HR, Communications, other project staff to ensure smooth technical field implementation and operation.
Ensure regular planning and high quality project implementation in line with the overall project strategies, approach and methodology.
- Lead regular monthly planning as well as development and use of weekly work plans.
- Support program team to develop work plans.
- Ensure that all work plans in the State are in line with the overall project work plan. Ensure that work plans are coordinated across all implementation sites in the State for avoiding duplication and for making use of complementarities and synergies.
- In cooperation with Program Manager ensure that all field work is implemented in line with project’s approach and implementation methodologies. Ensure high quality standards of field implementation that achieves measurable impacts at target group level.
- Establish transparent and accountable mechanisms for targeting and ensure appropriate targeting as per project strategy. Report errors of inclusion and exclusion.
- Ensure that project implementation is community-led and driven and follows evidence-based better practices and approaches.
- Lead sector/theme integration at field level.
- Support needs assessments and other missions for the development of additional proposals, which are integrated in project.
- On the basis of the project sustainability strategy, ensure project implementation adequately incorporates impact sustainability.
- Contribute to internal learning, quality enhancement (technical, operational) and cross State learning through feedback, sharing of better practices and lessons learned as well as suggestions for improvements.
Implement project activities with communities.
- Liaise with elders and other community representatives.
- Facilitate discussion processes with communities.
- Lead transparent and accountable participatory targeting of project target groups and beneficiaries.
- Assess capacity building needs.
- Organize capacity building events and processes.
- Conduct trainings.
- Provide technical advisory assistance.
- Organize exchange visits.
- Conduct regular supervision and monitoring of field implementation.
- Build junior program team capacities in order to enable them to catalyze community learning and action plan implementation, including planning, facilitation, monitoring, and documentation.
- Liaise with other project team for cross-learning.
Ensure regular monitoring, documentation, and reporting.
- Lead field work for baseline, annual/mid-term/end-term evaluations and other surveys at State level.
- Lead regular project monitoring at field level. Coordinate monitoring with MEAL Officer.
- Lead project documentation (e.g. success stories, photos, case studies) at field level. Coordinate documentation with Communication Officer and program Manager.
- Ensure timely, comprehensive and complete monthly reporting.
- Review and validate reports.
- Prepare project monthly State reports and other documents. Ensure reports and documents reach other users as per agreed deadlines.
- Lead regular and timely early warning information sharing.
- In cooperation with project team ensure up-to-date and accessible State data base for all project activities and sites. Take appropriate measure to avoid data, information and document loss.
- Translate conversations and documents for non-local language speaking staff to English when required.
Liaise and coordinate with government, development and humanitarian agencies, private sector, and other stakeholders at State level.
- Liaise regularly with communities, elders, local authorities, private sector enterprises and other agencies operational in project counties to ensure coordination and effective implementation of intervention activities.
- Participate in stakeholder coordination meetings and pro-actively contribute to State coordination.
- Represent project at State level.
- Lead practical cooperation between project and government programs,
- Support organization of visitors’ and other trips at State level.
- Support organization of workshops and meetings.
- Any other duties as required.
Head of office –Galkacyo
- Responsible for Badhan office management
- Represent Adeso in external coordination, meetings with the authorizes, other agencies and stakeholders in the region for the smooth operation in the region
- Responsible for the overall smooth and efficient running of the office, including operational support to all programs operating out of this office, adherence to Adeso and donor policy and procedures at this office, leading and facilitating coordination between other Adeso offices, and serving as the focal point for all safety and security issues and crisis management affecting this office.
- Provide day-to-day line management, or dotted-line management depending on program needs, of staff based at this office. This includes writing and/or contributing to personnel evaluations, leading in solving personnel issues, and ensuring staff at this office receive the support required to be successful at their jobs.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combined education in food security and livelihood, and work experience in exceptional circumstances;
- First-hand experience in managing cash based programs in similar context
- At least 3-years of program management experience at manager level
- Excellent knowledge and experience with humanitarian guidelines and principles.
- Experience in budget management and knowledge of financial procedures.
- Ability to multi-task, meets short deadlines, and effectively handles stressful situations.
- Previous experience in Somalia, and preferably the program area
- Fluency in English. Somali speakers strongly preferred with good communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish, motivate and maintain effective working relations with the program team and other field staff.
- A qualified Somalia National is highly preferred
- Proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, power point, etc.
How to apply
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional. If you would like to join this dynamic team, please submit your application to email@example.com, quoting “Senior Project Officer” in the email subject matter, by 20th July 2020.
Each application should be addressed to the Regional Human Resources Manager and include the following:
· An updated CV; and
· An application letter which should include remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Adeso is an equal opportunity employer.