CARE is an international NGO working in Somalia/Somaliland. CARE and its partners work with vulnerable communities to address the underlying causes of poverty and promote peace and development, as well as mitigating immediate suffering caused by drought, conflict and displacement.
CARE Somalia’s Emergency Program is currently seeking applications from experienced professionals to fill the position of Senior Protection Officer The positions will be based in Bosaso with frequent travel to the field regularly for project implementation and technical support
1. Summary of the Position.
This position reports to the Protection Manager technically and administratively to Puntland Humanitarian Program Manager; the Senior Protection Officer is responsible for the technical leadership related to implementation of the GBV/Protection program, ensure timely and quality implementation of the work plan in coordination with protection teams, Ensure essential, life-saving GBV services, including comprehensive case management and psychosocial support, is available in line with international standards and closely monitored with a view of gathering information to inform programming priorities, attend cluster meetings and other coordination forums, and liaise with government and non-governmental agencies.
2. Roles & responsibilities.
R1: Planning and implementation of protection.
- Participate in planning, implementation and monitoring of protection sector activities in accordance with the sector work plan and overall program plans.
- Conduct basic counseling services for IDP communities. Provide psychosocial support to individual IDPs experiencing acute distress
- Respond promptly to any protection risk or violation of the rights of women and children in assigned geographic area
- Establish positive and constructive relations with local communities, IDPs and other relevant stakeholders to ensure protection of vulnerable groups
- Case management of Gender-Based Violence (GBV) survivors
- Assist GBV survivors with psycho-social first aid services
- Establish efficient referral systems with locally available service providers and facilitate inter/intra-organizational referral of cases
- Contribute to the organization and implementation of awareness campaigns on GBV
- Assist in training of communities, partners and other stakeholders to further capacitate and strengthen their understanding of international protection principles and practice.
- Conduct monthly meetings with GBV Focal Points and prepare meeting minutes.
- Represent CARE in relevant protection forums (CPWG, GBVWG, Protection Cluster, etc...) as needed from time to time.
- Promote the understanding and adherence to internationally accepted or legally binding standards throughout CARE interventions
- Conduct quarterly Protection, gender and accountability joint monitoring mission with MEAL team to the areas of humanitarian program is running on, i.e, Cash Programming, Health/Nutrition Sites and WASH projects. *
R2. Monitoring & Reporting.
- Support the emergency team to conduct initial needs/gaps and capacity assessments on protection in close coordination with other sector teams through the joint multi-sectoral assessment.
- Collaborate closely with government NGOs and General Hospitals to promote the clinical care for sexual assault survivors in line with WHO protocols.
- Ensure safe and ethical data collection, storage, analysis, and maintain confidential / accurate monitoring records of GBV survivors such as using standard forms and GBVIMS database and monitoring adherence to inter-agency information sharing protocols.
- Lead the documentation of protection sector methodologies, lessons learned, and gather case studies.
- Notify to Protection Manager any discrepancy, serious incident or any urgent information which may need immediate consideration regarding day to day project activities.
- Fulfill any additional assignments as deemed necessary by the organization.
3. Key Relationship /contacts;
The Senior Protection Officer will work in close collaboration with CARE sub–office staff, Emergency Program team members, Protection Officer, Protection and Accountability Manager, CMR Nurse and doctors, Emergency Coordinators, Area Managers, protection cluster members and working group members, local authorities and community members and leaders.
4. Required Skills & Knowledge.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Rights, Law, Psychosocial Counseling, Women’s studies or other related field
- Minimum of 6-7 years’ professional work experience in protection, preferably targeting IDPs/refugees in Somalia
- Experience in provision of psychosocial counseling services to displaced and vulnerable communities.
- Knowledge of GBV case management
- Experience in psychosocial first aid
- Knowledge of protection and gender mainstreaming in to other sectors
- Demonstrated capacity in conducting needs and situation analysis
- Proven record of providing trainings and workshops on protection topics
- Good analytical and communication skills
- Ability to establish effective working relations with local staff and other stakeholders
- Ability to work under pressure and with minimal supervision
- Experience working in insecure environments and on “sensitive” issues
- Ability to produce timely and quality reports
- Ability to meet time-sensitive deadlines
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Somali languages
- Knowledge of GBVIMS/CPIMS will be an added value **
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested and qualified candidates are requested submit their application letter and CV with at least 3 professional reference check via email SOM.Recruitment@care.org by close of business on 1st October 2019. Please include the reference “Senior Protection Officer - Bosaso ”. As subject of your email depends on your location pr41.22.310.21eferred.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information about CARE and its programs, visit www.care.org
CARE is an Equal Opportunity Employer, promoting gender, equity and diversity.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Our selection process reflects our Commitment to the protection of Children from Abuse.