NRC has been active in Somalia since 2004 with four area offices in Kismayu, Mogadishu, Garowe and Hargeisa, providing protection and humanitarian assistance to refugees, internally displaced persons and returnees in Somaliland, Puntland, South Central and Jubbaland regions. NRC offers a comprehensive response for returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
NRC Somalia is part of NRC’s East Africa and Yemen regional operation which comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across seven countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Yemen, Eritrea, South Sudan, Uganda and Tanzania). NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to enhance protection and promote the rights of displaced people in humanitarian need by improving living conditions and seeking durable solutions. The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardization of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
The purpose of the officer position is day to day implementation of delegated Shelter project activities.
Candidates can apply online by going through the "VACANCIES" link at www.nrc.no Email or Paper applications will not be considered.
Duties and responsibilities
- Generic responsibilities
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Implement delegated CC project portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare periodic reports and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents in place for auditing purposes.
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and assess new and better ways to assist
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement
- Coordinate with relevant actors (clusters, government, agencies and other stakeholders)
- Participate in community mobilization involving and informing communities and community leaders about the activities
- Performance management of project assistants
- Ensure timely delivery of quality construction
- Lead in overall planning and design of projects
- Participate the tendering process including pre-qualifying contractors, evaluations and awards
- Prepare tender documents for construction works including technical drawings, specifications of works, Bills of Quantities and conditions of contracts Review contract claims, analyse and recommend variation orders
- Prepare documents for final handover and closure of projects
- Provide technical input in the general supervision, progress of construction activities and control of quality of materials and workmanship
- Ensure that procurement, development and distribution of materials and equipment are timely and according to procedures
- Participate in the expansion, development, coordination and management of NRC’s Shelter and WASH projects in the designated region and represent NRC in the shelter and WASH cluster meetings.
- Carry out informal and formal training sessions to staff and beneficiaries (according to identified needs).
- Ensure documentation of project progress is ongoing and integrate sound M&E procedures in all aspects of the project.
- Monitor, evaluate and ensure that the project activities are consistent with plans and budget lines and NRC’s policy and standards
- Prepare the monthly cash and payment forecast.
- Assess the completion of works, recommend for payments and prepare interim and final payment certificates
- As Regional Shelter Cluster focal in Bari and Sanaag regions;
- Provide leadership and guidance to the implementing shelter agencies through a consultative process in the field. Maintain appropriate effective coordination mechanisms that have been agreed at national shelter cluster level to reduce duplication.
- Identify advocacy concerns and improve the understanding of the cluster system, including the sharing of good practices.
- Maintain adequate monitoring systems to review the IMPACT of projects.
- Strengthen the capacity of the shelter cluster partners with support from the Shelter Cluster Secretariat.
- Degree in Civil Engineering and/or other related field.
- Min 3yrs experience in implementation of large scale construction projects, preferably Shelter projects in humanitarian, NGO or Government organisations.
- Proven practical experience undertaking civil works and implementation both rural and urban systems for at least 3 years.
- Proven practical experience undertaking construction of permanent shelter, School construction, latrines construction and so on.
- Experience from working as a Project Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in a complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge of English
- Knowledge of the context in (Puntland)
- Knowledge of the local language
- Knowledge and experience in the sector
- Experience with start-up, exit or similar
We can offer
- Contract period: 2.5 months with possibility of extension.
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
- Duty station: Bossaso
- Travel: 40%
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
NB: All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.