Overview of position
The Federal Government of Somalia is committed through the implementation of the National Stabilization Strategy to tackle the underlying drivers of conflict and set the conditions for economic growth. Civilian-led stabilization interventions will remain critical to consolidating security gains as stipulated in the recently endorsed Transition Strategy. In line with the Federal Government’s priorities, the Ministry of Interior, Federal Affairs and Reconciliation (MoIFAR) leads the implementation of the National Stabilization Strategy and coordinate stabilization efforts with the Federal Member States of Jubaland, South West, Hirshabelle and Galmudug and Banadir Regional Administration to promote comprehensive approach to community recovery and the extension of state authority and accountability combining the efforts of international partners, and under the leadership of the Somali Government. This will require increased effort to ensure effective coordination between both Federal Government and the aforementioned Federal Member States and Banadir Regional Administration and with stabilization partners.
The Stabilization Coordination Officer will be embedded with the MoIFAR Stabilization Team under the auspices of the Ministry’s partnership with UNSOM CRESTA/A office. The Coordination Officer will support the Team’s efforts to coordinate all stabilization interventions effectively under the auspices of the National Stabilization Strategy and Transition Plan including within MoIFAR’s broader portfolio of activities. The Coordination Officer role will include supporting the team’s efforts to enhance coordination and collaboration between MoIFAR and its Ministry counterparts in the Federal Member States, as well as with stabilization partners including the UN and donor community. Within the limits of delegated authority, may be responsible for the following duties:
- Works cooperatively with all Federal Member States to support the achievement of Stabilization activities designed to achieve identified goals and objectives as stipulated in the National Stabilization Strategy and State level plans
- Supports the organisation of CAS / SDRF stabilization meetings and other stabilization events led by MoIFAR including preparation of meeting agendas and distribution of meeting minutes;
- Collect information, data and documents relevant to the National Stabilization Strategy and undertake relevant analysis of data including translation of aforementioned materials as required, as well as supporting the sharing of information within the MoIFAR and FMS Ministries of Interior and key stabilization partners;
- Support outreach and communication activities aligned with National Stabilization Strategy, e.g. Stabilization Newsletter prepared by MoIFAR;
- Support logistical arrangements to enable representatives from Federal Member States to participate CAS / SDRF stabilization meetings and other coordination forums led by MoIFAR e.g. Wadajir Framework;
- Any other task assigned by the Ministry;
The Stabilization Coordination Officer will be administratively supervised by the UNSOM CRESTA/A office and support the joint effort of MoIFAR and UNSOM as the co-chairs of Stabilization Strand of the Comprehensive Approach to Security.
Candidates for the position are expected to meet the following requirements qualifications, experience and skills:
- University degree in development issues or related discipline e.g. governance or social policy.
- Five years of progressively responsible work experience at professional level in stabilization programmes or a related field of expertise;
- Good writing and communication skills;
- Ability to establish harmonious working relations in an international and multicultural environment;
- Analytical and negotiating skills;
- Willingness to travel to remote field locations;
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team in a challenging and highly fluid environment;
- Demonstrated attention to detail, including the ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and cooperate with team members are required;
To be advised