The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The International Rescue Committee has been working in Somalia since 2006, providing essential services to conflict and disaster affected communities. The IRC has been operational in Central Somalia (Mudug and Galgadud regions) and Mogadishu implementing interventions in the areas of livelihood, WASH, Governance and peacebuilding, GBV, Nutrition, education and health reaching out to more than 200,000 conflict and drought affected people.
The Supply Chain Intern will work closely with the Supply Chain Officer in carrying out core functions in the Supply Chain Department. He or she will be responsible for carrying out the functions below and any other as may be assigned by the Supply Chain Officer.
The Supply Chain Intern will carry out Supply Chain activities and plans to support program implementation. S/he will carry out Procurement, Transport and Warehousing activities and adhere to IRC Supply Chain Policies and guidelines:
- Follow the laid down guidelines when carrying out Procurements as per the IRC GSC Standard Operating Processes and donor rules and regulations.
- Develop and submit Requests for Quotations (RFQs); and Request for Information (RFI) for review by the Supply Chain Officer before submitting to the Suppliers.
- Participate in entering data for tendering processes;
- Prepare Shipping Contracts for review by the Supply Chain Officer.
- Document, monitor and report on Supplier and service Provider performance and harness their relationships with IRC.
- Receive, prepare and submit to the Supply Chain Officer for review all Invoices and Procurement documents fully compliant with the IRC procedures and regulations, before processing payment.
- Upon Completion of the Procurement Processes, file, archive and code the arising documents with.
Warehousing, Transport and fleet management
- Support in preparing internal documents required for importation and exportation of commodities.
- Weighing of all consignment to be shipped to the field before handing them to the contracted shipping agent.
- Maintain an up to date tracking tool for all orders shipped to the field,
- Liaise with the Clearing and Forwarding Agent(s) in clearing Cargo from National and International departures for delivery to the Field Offices.
- Coordinate with Field Warehouse house Assistants to ensure consignments are received in good condition according to Sop’s.
- Receive and issue supplies from the store and Maintain the stores and warehouse register
- Receiving items when delivered by suppliers and preparation of a delivery report
- Support in Dispatch of consignment to field location, preparing waybills and packing list. Follow up with field locations on receipt of the items and submission of signed waybills and packing lists from the field
Other duties and Reporting
The Supply Chain Intern is responsible for:
- Preparing and submitting accurate Monthly Asset reports for review by the Supply Chain Officer by the 2nd of every month.
- Participate in Quarterly Stock Verification and reporting.
- Proactively providing feedback and updates to requesters on their requests within 48hrs.
- Ensuring that all IRC assets are stored in good condition and the asset register is up to date.
- Performing other duties as requested by Supply Chain Officer.
- Diploma in Business Administration/Financial Accounting or Logistics related field preferred.
- Fluent English (written and spoken)
- Competent with using Computers, especially Microsoft Office Word and Excel spreadsheets and Outlook
- Good mathematical skills
- A good planner, attention to detail, proactive, team player, transparent and honest.
- Ability to prioritize and work under pressure
- Good communication skills
- Culturally Sensitive and ability to adapt to stressful situations.
- Excellent Interpersonal and Negotiation Skills.
How to apply
You can apply through the following link:
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in *IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct*. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
Female Candidates are highly encouraged to apply.