Overview of position
Somalia Urban Resilience Project II (SURP II) is a municipal governance and infrastructure development project financed by the World Bank and its partners, aimed at improving access to urban infrastructure and strengthening municipal governance in Somalia.
The Government of Somalia, through the Benadir Regional Administration (Mogadishu) representing all four Municipalities of Mogadishu, Kismayo, Garowe and Baidoa has selected our client to provide the consulting services for the urban transport infrastructure works to be executed by the Project Implementation Unit (PIU) of the respective Municipalities under SURP II. The works involve construction of urban roads to bitumen standards, construction of associated drainage works including bridges and installation of streetlights, by the contractors engaged by the respective PIU.
The scope of our client engagement is to provide technical assistance to the PIUs in the works implementation and Contracts managements in the areas of design review, technical supervision, performance monitoring, quality control etc., as well as contributing to PIUs capacity buildings.
The Surveyor will be assigned to one of the four cities and will report to the Resident Engineer. He / She will be responsible for all surveying tasks related to the SURP II works implementation of the assigned city, and reporting to the Resident Engineer.
The Surveyor’s specific tasks will include:
- Checking the accuracy of established control points and measures to ensure acceptable level of accuracy is maintained throughout the project.
- Check and verify works undertaken by the Contractor to ensure works implementation are as per the design drawings and specifications.
- Carry out topographic surveys of roads and generation of digital elevation models, maps and drawings from the survey data as directed by the Resident Engineer.
- Carrying out field measurements in support of maintaining works progress records, preparation of work quantities for the bill payments, and management of variation claims etc.
- Preparation of survey reports and any other relevant documents as may be required / directed by the Resident Engineer.
- Generation of outputs on GIS platforms for use by the project team and other stakeholders. The Surveyor will also be required to interpret any survey data, maps and GIS outputs received from stakeholders.
- Ensure the accuracy of the survey equipment through testing and calibration and be the custodian of survey equipment and tools availed to him/her.
- Management of all survey records generated by the project with the responsibility for the final hand-over to the Client.
- On-the job training of the counterpart staff provided by PIU on engineering surveying tasks
The successful candidate will report to the Resident Engineer
- Minimum BSc in Surveying Technology, Land Surveying, Civil Engineering or a relevant discipline or an Advanced Diploma in Surveying Technology, Land Surveying, Civil Engineering or a relevant discipline
- A registered or licensed surveyor with a recognized institution
- Minimum 6 years of experience in topographic surveying works for those with a BSc degree or 8 years of experience for those with an Advanced Diploma.
- Experience in undertaking surveying of at least 1 infrastructure projects within the last 3 years, with a similar level of duties and responsibilities expected to be performed under this position TOR.
- Proficient in using latest surveying equipment such as Geodetic/Real Time Kinetic GPS, Total Station, automatic level and ability to upload/download data and generate topographic maps and Contours
- Demonstrated experience in data handling on GIS platforms as well as dealing with satellite imagery information.
- Proficient in Engineering, Survey and GIS software such Autodesk - AutoCAD and Civil 3D, ArcGIS (or other similar software
Survey team- mainly labour management
- Somalia/East Africa is desirable
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required