OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The objectives of WHO Malaria Control & Elimination (MCE) Control program is to provide adequate technical support to the national program to establish effective MCE program in SCS through:
- Development and revision of the national strategies, guidelines, SOPs and other relevant documents of the National Malaria Control Program (NMCP), Control Program in SCS.
- Monitoring and Evaluation of the program interventions to ensure the quality of the national program activities.
- Capacity building of the national health staff involved in the implementation of the malaria control and elimination program activities.
- Supporting the national program in advocacy and raising the awareness regarding MCE in the country.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Contribute to the development and revision of the national control strategies and plans for MCE in SCS.
- Work with the NMCP of MOH in preparing and revising training manuals and sessions about MCE diagnosis and case management.
- Represent MCE/WHO in Vector Born Diseases Task Force and other concerning meetings and support national control program technically for the improvement of the program implementation and intervention.
- Collaborate with the national programs in the development and launch of raising awareness and communication initiatives for health promotion purposes for both; MCE Program.
- Provide technical inputs to the NMCP program in the management of medical supplies including forecasting, distribution and stock management.
- Carry out monitoring and evaluation activities (M&E) related to NMCP program.
- Prepare technical and periodic reports of routine activities and assignments undertaken on missions to regions where MCE control activities are carried out.
- Work with the Vector Control technical staff at NMCP to ensure the planning and implementation of field activities related to vector control and prevention for malaria.
- Conduct meetings and collaborate with the other partners regarding Lab, case management, Entomology & vector control activities, quarterly and annual bases.
- Perform clinical and environmental sample collection, allocating, packaging and shipping whenever necessary especially in the event of disease outbreak of MCE program.
- Ensure regular communication and liaison between implementing partners, NMCP of the MOH and WHO.
- Collaborate with the WHO country and regional team to develop new funding applications.
- Contribute to the development/revision of policies, strategies, guideline and SoPs for malaria program in SCS.
- Participate in the capacity building of health staff on proper management, control and elimination of malaria in SCS.
- Coordinate with the national programs in proper monitoring and evaluation of the programs activities to ensure quality, equity and equality required for MCE in the country.
Essential: First university degree in medical laboratory science or public health
Desirable: Post graduate degree in public health or Laboratory medical science
Essential: At least 2 years of relevant experience in communicable diseases coordination, with emphasis on malaria program. Knowledge and capacity in Therapeutic Efficacy Study (TES)of antimalaria drugs.
Desirable: Working experience or sound knowledge of WHO mandate and goals in Health Action in Crises or experience in UN organizations/agencies
- Proven skills in training health workers on laboratory techniques and standard operating procedures of MCE program.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, manage and adapt management style according to needs.
- Familiarity with MCE strategies at national and international levels.
- Excellent skills in the assessment, and monitoring in the context of communicable disease with the ability to conceptualize and implement innovative strategies and promote their implementation.
- Excellent operational research. and presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work under pressure.
- Tact discretion and ability to promote consensus.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- Producing results
Enhanced WHO global Competencies model at http://www.who.int/employment/WHO_competencies_EN.pdf?ua=1
Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
Use of Language Skills
Essential: Expert knowledge of English. Expert knowledge of Local language.
Remuneration comprises an annual base salary starting at USD 34,004 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- Staff members in other duty stations are encouraged to apply.
- For information on WHO's operations please visit: http://www.who.int.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO's workforce adheres to the WHO Values Charterand is committed to put the WHO Values into practice.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- This is a National Professional Officer position. Therefore, only applications from nationals of the country where the duty station is located will be accepted. Applicants who are not nationals of this country will not be considered.
- For assessment of your application, please ensure that: 1- Your profile is properly completed and updated; 2- All required details regarding your qualifications, education and training are provided; 3- Your experience records are entered with elaboration on tasks performed at the time. Kindly note that CVs/PHFs inserted via LinkedIn are not accessible.