Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We're changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
Overall supervision and technical guidance of the DRSLP II Livestock construction activities in Borama and Wajale.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Precise objectives will vary between assignments. The core areas that the position holder will be expected to deliver on are as follows:
- Supervise the setting out, levelling and surveying of the site before and during the construction works.
- Check plans, drawings, and quantities for accuracy of calculations.
- Ensure that all materials used, and work performed are as per specifications and required quality standards.
- Oversee the selection and requisition of materials and equipment to be used for the construction works.
- Document and report immediately on any planned changes in the work by the contractor, prior to any changes being affected.
- Conduct regular site supervision and regular inspections at critical phases of the construction works; proactively identify issues that could lead to problems and facilitate their solutions while closely liaising with SCI WASH Engineer.
- Liaise with all subcontractors, supervisors, quantity surveyors and the general workforce involved in the project during the duration of the construction works.
- Liaise with the local authority (where appropriate to the project) to ensure compliance with local construction regulations and by-laws.
- Day-to-day management of the site, including monitoring of the site labor force and the work of any subcontractors.
- Plan the work and efficiently organize site facilities in order to meet agreed deadlines and schedules.
- Supervise proper storage and disposal of waste products or other construction hazardous materials.
- Oversee quality control, health, and safety matters on site by following and enforcing standards and procedures and complying with legal regulations; Complete and submit weekly reports.
- Prepare weekly reports as required while closely liaising with the SCI WASH Engineer.
- Provide high quality, interesting photos with clear captions and send them to the SCI WASH Engineer.
- Support the resolution of any unexpected technical difficulties and other problems that may arise with close coordination with SCI WASH Engineer.
- Any other duties assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree in Civil Engineering, Project Management
- Minimum of 2 years' experience in Building construction with excellent hands-on construction skills.
- Some experience of representation and ability to represent SC effectively in external forums.
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role. To see a full a job description, please visit our website at
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents.