Overview of CTG:
- CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
Overview of the position:
- The Trainee Engineer provides technical assistance & expertise with reference to the construction works as well as field coordination, ensuring high quality & consistency of work, for the A/M construction works.
- Implement work activities with the Senior Project Engineer & Project Engineer.
- Take timely action to prevent potential delays &/or cost overruns that can be avoided.
- Report & recommend remedial actions regarding potential delays &/or cost overruns to the Senior Project Engineer.
- Provide supervision of project work progress & quality for on time project delivery.
- Monitor contractor presence on the project site, including Bill of Quantities (BoQ) as per approved contract.
- Provide data & information about project work to Senior Project Engineer (or Project Engineer) for reporting purposes.
- Assist with weekly & monthly reporting with the Senior Project Engineer (or Project Engineer) detailing all project matters including quality, health & safety, environmental & financial, as well as any issues relating to possible delays, cost overruns, variations & any other matter as agreed with the Senior Project Engineer (or Project Engineer).
- Assist the Senior Project Engineer to outline design requirements (e.g. timeline) to procure design services, including concept, preliminary & final stages where applicable.
- Assist the Senior Project Engineer to manage the design plan ensuring deliverable's are available on time & to the required quality.
- Prepare the BoQ for comment & approval by the Senior Project Engineer.
- Assist the procurement team with technical assistance in preparation of tender documentation & bid analysis where required.
- As tasked by the Senior Project Engineer, supervise construction works & administer works execution as per the contractual provisions & the design specifications.
- Ensure quantity/quality control & time schedule consistency.
- Verify that works are consistent with the project technical specifications & inform promptly of eventual deviations.
- Support the overall management of works implementation to ensure constructions works are completed on time, within budget & to quality standards.
- Provide regular supervision of the project work progress & quality for on time delivery.
- Assist the Senior Project Engineer in the preparation of project/contracts related documentations such as periodic progress reports, site monitoring reports, stake holder meeting minutes, engineer’s instructions & variation orders, contractor’s bills review reports, certifications, client handover documents & contracts closeout reports.
- Oversee surveying works, engineering control of the works etc.
- Assist in providing training & technology transfer to national personnel & contractor’s personnel & advice on good construction practices, good environmental management practices & appropriate health & safety standards during construction.
- Contribute to the dissemination & sharing of best practices & lessons learned for development planning & knowledge building.
- The Trainee Engineer is responsible for keeping abreast of new developments in engineering.
- Assist the Senior Project Engineer in the preparation of project/contracts related documentations such as periodic progress reports, site monitoring reports, stake holder meeting minutes, Engineer’s instructions & variation orders, contractor’s bills review reports, certifications, client handover documents & contracts closeout reports.
- This role reports to the Senior Project Engineer.
- This role does not have any team management responsibility.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in Africa (desirable).
- Fluency in English and Somali are essential.
- A Degree in Civil Engineering is required.
- AutoCAD certification is desirable.
- Project Management certification (for example PRINCE2® Foundation is desirable).
- Strong competency in AutoCAD.
- Experience in Somalia is desirable.
- Full working knowledge of English & Somali is essential.
- Knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.
Other relevant information:
How to apply:
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website as a candidate & apply for this role using the below link: