Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is currently looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team player for the post WASH Officer - Engineer based in Bossaso, Somalia.
We are particularly looking for a positive individual with strong communication skills, who can build trust and confidently navigate both internally and externally at different levels.
NRC in Somalia
NRC has been active in Somalia since 2004 with four area offices in Kismayu, Mogadishu, Garowe and Hargeisa, providing protection and humanitarian assistance to refugees, internally displaced persons and returnees in Somaliland, Puntland, South Central and Jubbaland regions.
NRC offers a comprehensive response for returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
Due to the current COVID-19 outbreak, the recruitment process and start date may be delayed. Nevertheless, we encourage qualified candidates to apply and we will inform shortlisted applicants of any changes as the process evolves. Thank you for your understanding.
Duties and responsibilities
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Implement delegated CC project portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement
- Investigate and facilitate introduction of new technology, methods and approaches in order to improve the quality of the activities
- Preparation of technical designs and drawings, BoQs/cost estimation, tender documents and supervise for all WASH infrastructures including the installation of solar systems.
- Mobilize communities and community leaders for the building materials, construction activities and maintenance of structures
- Supervise construction of assigned water and sanitation infrastructure by providing instructions and site supervision to partners, contractors and/or casual Labour
- Under take water quality (microbial, physical and chemical) analysis of treated water using potable water quality kit, as per water quality technical guidelines approved by the government/WHO and WASH Cluster This will include promotion of household water filters.
- Leading hydrological surveys, drilling activities, provide technical guidance and reviewing of the contractor’s hydrological study and drilling reports.
- Regular monitoring of construction activities to ensure that all the activities are executing as per design, specifications and work schedule
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in the activities.
- Extend all possible technical support to other NRC sectors where required
- Prepare and write timely weekly, monthly implementation plans and submit detailed Bi-weekly/ monthly progress reports.
- Coordinate with relevant partners and local authorities on the ground to ensure smooth, efficient and effective implementation of the activities
- Ensures that standards and specifications for works and materials deliveries are adhered to and gives recommendation(s) to the management as necessary, including certification of completed works for payments
- Keep accurate daily records of project work (e.g. technical project details, materials used, time sheets, challenges encountered, etc).
- Working closely alongside the WASH Assistants/Officers, meet on a regular basis with Water Committees to ensure they are actively involved throughout project planning and implementation.
- Participate in field assessments, baseline studies and periodic studies in order to map areas requiring new water sources and sanitation facilities in Puntland regions.
- In particular, to promote the full and equal participation of women in all aspects of the work
- Support other WASH Officers to ensure communities fully participate in design, implementation, monitoring, operation and maintenance of all water and Sanitation projects.
- Provide technical advice to management, communities, Water Committees, hand pump mechanics and pump operators on operation and maintenance of water facilities.
- Participate, hygiene promotion campaigns, hygiene kits distributions and formal trainings of the water management committees and community based hygiene promoters.
- Any other assignment as may be required by the WASH Team leader
- Bachelors Degree in Water Engineering, Civil Engineering, Geology or any related discipline.
- Extensive experience may substitute for specific qualifications but not vice versa
- Knowledge of AutoCAD, WaterCAD or any civil works design software is highly desirable
- Experience from working with WASH projects in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge of English and local Language-Somali
- Knowledge of the context in Puntland Somalia
- Experience in submersible pumps and generator installations
- Experience in construction of water and sanitation infrastructure
- Experience in undertaking hydro-geological surveys and borehole drilling supervision
- Proven practical experience undertaking water supply designs, civil works and implementation both rural and urban systems for at least 3 years.
- Proven practical experience undertaking water quality analysis (bacteriological, chemical and physical) in a busy institution or organization.
- Experience of working with INGO in a similar capacity will be an added advantage
- Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to explain and present complex technical information
- Ability to work independently in a result oriented multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment and manage conflicting priorities.
- Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of disadvantaged populations (minority groups etc)
- Team work
- Cultural awareness and experience of working of different stakeholders
- Community mobilization skills
- Language: Fluency in written and spoken English is essential
- Excellent capacity building and facilitation supervision skills
We can offer
Contract period: 4 months, extension depends on performance and fund availability.
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Bossaso
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been
involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
NB: All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct
and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
QUALIFIED FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE PARTICULARLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY!!!